Sleep is essential for the brain to work at its full potential. However, a good night’s sleep is very different from drowsiness during the day. Excessive sleepiness during the day can prevent individuals from putting their best efforts. This is why most people rely on tea and coffee to get rid of their sleepiness. This is surely not the best method to stay wakeful. There are some hazards of relying on coffee to stay awake.
Dependency on caffeine can have the following side effects:
- Coffee dependency results in addiction. You may require greater doses of caffeine to have the same effect once your body gets dependent on caffeine.
- Coffee is also known to cause dehydration in the body. You may have to consume more water to keep it hydrated at the optimum level.
- Excess coffee intake may impact your sleep patterns in the long run. You may struggle to get the desired amount of sleep at night due to coffee dependency.
- You may suffer other mild side effects like insomnia and headaches as a result of coffee dependency.
- Some people may also experience dizziness and anxiety as a result of coffee intake.
Yet, you surely need to stay awake and fresh during your working hours. Generic Medicines are surely not the reply to issues related to sleep. You need to find healthy measures to get rid of sleep during the working hours. Here we have shared a list of suggestions to help you. Try them!
Most people don’t guess the contribution of food in making people lethargic. If you have low sugar levels in the body, laziness is a sure side effect. Try to consume a wholesome breakfast that has a low glycemic index. This will boost your energy levels and make you feel active. Balance your diet with equal proportions of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals. It is also good to maintain a proper schedule for your diet. This will assist the digestive system to digest the food effectively.
One of the many benefits of exercising is feeling active. When you feel lethargic during work hours, just take a stroll. You will surely feel energetic again. You may also start your day with some warm-up exercises. Try a combination of exercises that rejuvenate different parts of the body. This will help you feel energetic and work efficiently.
Take a Power Nap
Sometimes, all the efforts have no effect and you tend to feel extremely sleepy during the day. If you cannot resist the urge to sleep, just go for a power nap. This may help to prevent you from feeling sleepy again. However, most people fail to wake up again soon if they take a power nap. So, go for this option only if you are confident you can wake up before the next work meeting.
Excessive sleepiness could also arise because your body and mind do not get the desired amount of rest. Meditation may help in such situations. You can relax your body and mind by meditating. The human beings get enough rest through sleep during the REM sleep patterns. The similar patterns are also made possible through meditation. You may just meditate for 15-20 minutes in between work to revive your body from lethargy.
Maintain a Sleep Schedule
Some people get sleep easily while others struggle to sleep after lying in bed. The difference is often the result of sleep schedules followed by these individuals. Some people have strict sleep schedules. They sleep at a certain time and wake up at an affixed time. The fixed routine helps the body to align accordingly. The person easily falls asleep at the chosen hour. People who struggle to sleep at night need to adopt a proper sleep schedule. Once they alter their sleep habits, the quality of sleep will also improve.
Maintain Good Sleep Hygiene
Maintaining sleep hygiene implies maintaining a good environment for sleep. You must take efforts to improve sleep hygiene in your room to ensure better sleep. Here we have listed some steps you can take:
- Maintain complete darkness in the room where you sleep at night. Choose curtains that filter out light to maintain proper darkness.
- Choose a soundproof room to sleep. If you have difficulty maintaining the room soundproof, try other options. You may use noise cancellation headphones to eliminate the unnecessary noise.
- Avoid drinking tea and coffee a few hours prior to sleeping. It is a great idea to avoid such beverages to ensure better sleep patterns.
- Avoid eating heavy food at least two hours prior to sleeping. You must consume dinner at least two hours before sleeping. This will allow the food to be digested before you go to sleep. The digestion process won’t hamper your sleep patterns.
Other Benefits of Correcting Sleep Habits
We all look for shortcuts to get rid of sleep and lethargy during work hours. Many people may use generic medicines to tackle sleep. However, there are many benefits you enjoy if you maintain healthy sleep habits. You won’t enjoy the same if you use generic medicines for the same purpose. Here are the major benefits of improved sleep habits:
- You are energetic and focussed when you have a good night’s sleep.
- Good sleep ensures efficient brain functioning.
- Unlike generic medicines to regulate sleep, changing sleep habits does not have any harmful side effects.
- Different side effects of sleep deprivation such as headache and dizziness vanish when you have proper sleep at night.
So, vow not to have that extra cup of coffee at night to drive away sleep. Alter your habits and lead a healthy life. This will help you not just at work but also in life. You will see improved concentration that allows you to complete the same work in much less time. Discipline is necessary for good health. Maintain your sleep hygiene and sleep habits to stay active and energetic. Get the best out of your life with small changes in your habits.